Monday 11 Nov 2019

NAACP To Pursue Removal Of Aycock Name From Wayne High School

NAACP Logo

Leaders of the Goldsboro/Wayne Branch of the NAACP now have a campaign underway seeking the removal of Charles B. Aycock from the name of the northern Wayne County high school and are calling on local school leaders to rename it.

Local NAACP leaders say they want the whole story told about Charles Brantley Aycock. They cited Aycock’s role in the 1898 Wilmington Race Riot. Dr. Tim Tyson, the author of the book Blood Done Sign My Name will lead what organizers call a teaching session next Tuesday expanding on Aycock’s affiliation with the riot. That session will be held at 7:30 p.m. at Rebuilding Broken Places, 2105 North William Street, Goldsboro, NC.

The former North Carolina Governor has come under fire recently because of his associations with white supremacy.

Copyright 2015 Curtis Media Group. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

1. Big Bob says:

Doctor Rev Barbour I know you are give up your $100.000 dollars to the hungry and those that need coats for the winter. And the naacp will pay for any cost for the name change Building, Letter heads, There is a lot of cost to a name change like this would be some where around 200.000 to 300.000 dollars. or more. I know I got the change and I can tell you it is costing me and the only thing I have left is CHANGE. Doctor Rev. Barbour let me ask you this question. When the 50 years are up and the files are open are we going to do a name change on all the streets and highways name after MLK. But hey that is what you get paid to do stir up trouble. After all is said and done the naacp has dropped the ball and its too late. Better start pressing 2 on the phone. That is who has taken over.

2. Kitty says:

I think people are losing their minds! We all have a past, good and bad. We can not erase history. It is what it is, history. You have to have history to learn from your mistakes. My high schools name should not have to change. Quit focusing on the names of buildings, parks, or roads. Instead, focus on making poverty vanish, child hunger, jobs, etc.

3. Sheila Aycock Kennedy says:

Give me a break! My heritage is being challenged. Why! For Power, of course.
    It’s time to take action. Please, someone, create a WAACP to oppose the actions of NAACP and Rev Baird. Their actions are obnoxious and counter productive to racial societal issues and solutions. It is not my intent to become confrontational by any means. There must be a way to solve the matter. This one issue is not only one issue, it is a smaller one that becomes a bigger issue over time. It is recommended to anyone that has the time and effort to form a coalition (WAACP) to address these issues. Put forth your goals to the most powerful – newspaper, politicians, concerned citizens, etc. THOSE WHO MAKE THE MOST NOISE WINS! Some of the goals should be to urge all concerned citizens to boycott Movies of Hollywood activists, baseball & football athletics for their negative actions affecting our youth, urge Congress to do away with the negative racial organizations, such as Congress’ Black Caucus, Black Chamber of Commerce, and any other type of organization that attempts to separate us as a society. I do not see a White Caucus, or a White Chamber of Commerce.. Its time to let them NAACP, etc, know that – “if they say it is – it will not be” – based on non factual evidence and history. THIS IS YOUR CHALLENGE TO DO THE RIGHT THING”. To solve this problem of racism against whites there three things to be done. 1. Determine the problem or solution 2. Develop a plan or strategy 3.Take action THE TIME IS NOW.

4. janedoe says:

The more this group of agitators try to stir the pot, the more I dislike those with their skin tone. You can only push so far before you get pushed back.

5. KIMMIE says:

Get over it .I mean this is 2015 and you are still crying over the past.I am so sick of it.Rebel flags names of school when is it going to stop.I mean really Martin Luther King is all over the place.Parks names of streets.Maybe I don’t approve of the way he did things.Another preacher causing trouble is what I see.I don’t think God likes strife in his church and that’s exactly what this is causing.Church is suppose to be a peaceful place to honor our God.TROUBLE MAKERS SHOULD BE THERE GROUP NAME!!!

6. Hmmm do u guys not realize it was well off African Americans that sold there own people to the whites to begin with? So I’m guessin blacks were racist too? I swear all everyone can do is find something to ***** about. It’s a **** shame that you are given a equally diverse school among blacks whites mexicans ect. And u wanna complain but let a white person step into goldsboros schools and blacks are the racists. Get your **** together and go on some where

7. carolinagirl says:

Barbour your full of ****! You call yorself Doctor Rev Barbour but how can you cause and stir all the commotion you do during the week amd preach the Lords word on Sunday? Hypocrit! You are useless! What has brought all this Aycock name change stuff on all of a sudden? History is what it is and leave it at that. Can either race help MLK or JFK getting murdered? No Is the blood on our hands ? No. What are you going to do next have all citizens with the last name of Aycock required to permantly change it? One word for you WARPED!! This school was built like every other one in wayne county so we all could have access to free school and obtain knowledge we need to exceed. Can we help that Goldsboro High was named so because it is in Goldsboro? No or that Eastern and Southern Wayne because thats the area they are un? No. So why the big deal because of the area and place of his birth not to bear his name? LEAVE IT ALONE!!! It was opened in 61 n in 65 17 black students enrolled. Were they thrown out because of his name or any that followed them? No if so it was due to being expelled. Its a wonderful school growing constantly with all races. Are you gonna tear his birthplace down as well? Oh my i may have put an idea sorry about that. All of this is history whether good or bad and we werent there n even if years of ancestors were do you think they would be pleased at the stupid stuff you are doing? Get a life. We cannot change it but continue each day to its fullest while making a difference. By the way would the new name be “W.B. MLK High School?” I still cant figure out how all of these roads are MLK highways and know there is absolutely no way he has been near or on any of them. You need to worry about things that matter at this time. Go to Raleigh on Monday and do that stuff you do whatever it is. By the way why dont you tip? I gotta tip for you leave well enough alone including Charles B Aycock High School and its name.

8. Heather says:

This is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard!! A name on our school what really is that going to accomplish? NOTHING!!! Just ignorant people trying to change history that none of us had anything to do with.. My children have graduated from Aycock , I have nieces and nephews there now.. It not a name or what it means it’s true ignorant people trying to start a war! Whites against Blacks! Which is showing how dumb and uneducated some of you are. Leave something as simple as a name alone and worry about all the murders, rapes, and child molesting that the younger generation mostly young black males are committing. But if y’all pass this bogus B****** them MLK needs to taken down TOO!!

9. CBA1980 says:

“Reverend Barbour”,
    Why don’t you go to all the schools in the area, look around and see what kind of treatment the “poor blacks” are getting. They are catered to because they are black. Why don’t you do something worthwhile. Get the “poor” people to do something to improve themselves instead of sitting on their tails waiting for everyone to give them something. I personally am tired of working hard to support them by all the taxes I pay. I have my own family to support and would love to use my hard earned money to better the lives of my family than the lives of those who sit around waiting with their hands out, whether they are black, white, hispanic….

10. Aycock alumni says:

I attended Aycock as well and Aycok was a racist school. Blacks were treated differently from the whites. Should Blacks be happy that he decided to build a school for blacks and whites and be satisfied that he was a racist. Why should children continue to be sent to school that is named for a man who promoted segregation? Why not name the school after someone who has a more honorable past?

• Just saying says:

Like who ,pray tell,Martin luther king ? The womanizer ?

• Dave says:

Wait… What? CBA was built in the ’50! Charles Acock was Governor in 1900. He didn’t build the school.

• Hammer says:

I just can’t believe that after all these years of this school being there NOW there is a problem…. The real problem is, paying for low life thugs that steal lie rape and murder….
      But we never hear a thing about that, from the naacp what these guys need to do is get that fixed then worry about something that matters. But they have a Martin Luther King day off. Don’t realize he was Republican if naacp knew that they would have that day removed. Then you have BLACK history month, NOW WHO IS RACIST??? Go look in the mirror. PLEASE REV. DEAL WITH THE THUGS then we can sit down and talk about other changes but until the shut your racist *** mouth…. Thank you.

• Dave says:

Sorry… I forgot to sign in. CBA was a lawyer and politician. We all know that combination means “Which Way Is The Wind Blowing Today!” He did not like the Republican veiws on Reconstruction, but Supremacist? ?hat education for the White farm boy or the Black farm boy was essential. Back then, our
      Legislature were all hood wearing DEMOCRATS! Aycock did what all politicians do. Cater to the legeslature to get education funding. Opportunist? Yes. Had to say the right things to the hoods. White Supremist? No. Just a politician who wanted his cause passed.

• Awwww says:

“Aycock Alumni ” ….why should HISTORY even be taught in school anymore ? When people like you are crying”poor pitiful me ,change it because it hurts my feelings” GIVE ME A BREAK ,IT HAPPENED,GET OVER IT ! those were the times . You can’t erase it just because it offends you ! I attended CBA as well and i can tell you that you are either blind or crazy !! The blacks were, and are even more today, catered to !

• Also an Aycock Alumni says:

CBA High School is not racist because a building can’t be racist but the people in it can. I am sorry you feel minorities were treated poorly when you attended. That was NOT the case when I attended (2000-2004). Stop grouping everyone from Aycock as a whole! It’s no ones else’s fault you had to see that.

11. MARY TALL says:

AS I READ THE ARTICLE, I JUST COULDN’T BELIEVE MY HOMETOWN IS GOING TO BOW DOWN TO THE NAACP..I WAS NOT RAISED TO BE A RACISTS AND I KNOW I AM NOT ONE BUT THE NAACP IS STEPPING OUT OF LINE WITH THEIR DEMANDS TO TAKE MR. AYCOCK’S NAME OFF …I HAVE FOUND SINCE I MARRIED AND MOVED TO LOUISIANA THAT VERY FEW WHITES ARE STANDING UP FOR OUR HERITAGE ..MY HIGH SCHOOL’S MASCOT WAS CHANGED FROM THE EARTHQUAKES (AND WE CAN’T FIND ANYTHING WITH OUR MASCOT’S NAME ) TO THE COUGARS, THEN OUR FLAG, THE CONFEDERATE OR REBEL FLAG IS NO LONGER CONSIDERED WHAT IT WAS MEANT FOR INSTEAD BECAUSE OF SOME IT IS COSIDERED TO BE RACIST BECAUSE OF THE KKK AND OTHER MISGUIDED PEOPLE AND NOW THE NAACP WANTS TO TAKE MR. AYCOCK’S NAME FROM THE SCHOOL..HOW UTTERLY REDICULOUS..YOU KNOW EVEN AFTER BEING AWAY FROM MY HOMETOWN AND STATE, I ALWAYS TELL EVERYONE I AM A PROUD TARHEEL BUT I’M BEGINNING TO WONDER IF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND SCHOOLBOARD IS GOING TO SHOW A LITTLE BACKBONE AND KEEP OUR HERITAGE INTACT OR ARE THEY JUST GOING TO LET THE NAACP AND ACLU TAKE OVER..IT’S KIND OF THE FIRST TIME I’M ALMOST ASHAMED TO ADMIT I AM FROM GOLDSBORO, N.C.

12. CBA07 graduate says:

Hey Rev! ** **** yourself!

Sincerely,

Wayne County

13. Pop says:

@Tammy stop complaining about tips and what wrong with ordering water get a real job or is tips how u support your HABIT black culture is in these days don’t believe me just ask your kids and grandkids what there wearing listening to check your kids cd player youll be surprised lol ppl stop complaining about cCHANGE and small CHANGE like tips at a restaurant REALLY PLEASE!!

• carolinagirl says:

Bet if it was your family member and that was their job you would be livid about the tip!!! That is how they get pd other than $2 something an hour. If people would quit working on their backs for the world to raise and pay for everything the economy would be better. At least they are working you guys need to pay up or take your own server

• Just saying says:

“Pop” …. yes,white kids do listen to black music ! Which to me says a lot! It shows that they aren’t racist !!! Just your kind !!!!

14. HeritagenotHate says:

Trying to take mess with our flag and now messn with our schools…Just remember in July 2015 there was a law passed that protected historical things in our state such as monuments and war history from being changed or removed…so all William Barber and his band of “the world owes me everything” followers have left to do is just change the name of poor little ol’ schools, street names, and park benches..while we are all hard at work at our real jobs. So change the name of the school. That is all they will probally ever accomplish really while in the meantime a whole lot of people are getting real tired of this group.

15. Richard wiggs says:

Just as ISIS is destroying history so this new black movement is doing the same trying to get rid of hundreds of years of history where are ISIS is destroyed thousands of years of history there is no difference

• Aycock alumni says:

Just a slight differences..ISIS is murdering and killing Christians, the NAACP is asking that a man who was a well documented racist have his name removed off a school building where children of all races attend. I certainly do not agree with William Barber politics, but I agree with him on this.

• Mandy says:

Seriously? He was also a well documented proponent of education. That was the whole reason the school was named after him in the first place. Lets re-write history because of some racist jerks of our times. Al Sharpton is the worst racist I have ever laid eyes on.

• Dave says:

“Well Documented Racist”? Please point me to your sources. Maybe I missed something. P. dering politician who wanted to be Governor? Yes! Believed Black and White children should have an education? Yes. Fought hard against a hood wearing DEMOCRAT Legislature. YES!
        Think about it… why has Governor Aycocks bust been at the Capital in Washington for so many years. 1960? Maybe sooner.It’s because he was the education governor! BUT…PC LIBERALS DECIDED HE WAS RACIST AND EVERYTHING WITH HIS NAME ON IT SHOULD BE ERASED!
        Stop being a victim and look how far we have come!☺

16. easy e says:

Lets create a CB.Aycock holiday and everyone get the day off of work.Lets celebrate in January.

17. Hammer says:

I really believe he or they need to focus on there on race and stop there **. Oh that’s right that’s what’s causing the killings now “NOT” get a grip Rec and get a real job pretty sure you have hidden skeletons in your closet. You are far from perfect…. You are starting to much…that’s all you know. At some point you need to keep your mouth shut……….Deal with the gangs and drugs and murders once you get that straight then you can talk until then just sit down and keep the flapper shut…….

18. Brooke says:

“But I would not have the white people forget their duty to the negro. We must seek the truth and pursue it. We owe an obligation to “the man in black”; we brought him here; he served us well; he is patient and teachable. We owe him gratitude; above all we owe him justice. We cannot forget his fidelity and we ought not to magnify his faults; we cannot change his color, neither can we ignore his service. No individual ever “rose on stepping stones of dead” others “to higher things,” and no people can. We must rise by ourselves, we must execute judgment in righteousness; we must educate not only ourselves but see to it that the negro has an opportunity for education.” Speech to the North Carolina Society, Baltimore, December 18, 1903

• bett says:

Also less we forget also that there was Blacks that also owned Blacks before the civil war. Also that black men in Africa that captured and traded slaves to be sent to America. Personally i dont owe them anything. Cause i wasnt born int the 17th or 18th century. also what about the Native American the were sold as slaves back then

19. reginald says:

Those with privilege don’t and will never understand!

20. Fran says:

Schedule a meeting Rev.. Let the people confront you. Goldsboro has turned in to a crime area mostly by young blacks.. Change that. Playing the card is getting old.
    Get a real job and quit begging of the people that think you will make a difference. Leadership starts at the top. Your at the bottom.

• Tammy says:

I agree 100%

• Rita says:

I completely agree! this is getting out of hand. Let’s remove MLK name off EVERY bloody road sign he’s on and see what they say. Young black men especially in Goldsboro is why crime is so high. White people are the drug heads and black people are shooting each other and blame others for their issues. So bloody tired. Let history be and learn from it instead of trying to wipe it out.

21. George says:

Wasn’t just about everyone a white supremacist back then? And is it not exactly the opposite now?

22. Really, 1898???…so, you’ve got to go that far back to find something? Wow!!! How about bringing something to the table that concerns 2015? The ONLY way I would consider this proposal is if I could talk with the people involved in the Wilmington Riot of 1898…

23. Don says:

How about fixing the problems in you own community first. Like black on black violence, drugs and gang wannabes running wild through the streets. I’m pretty sure the name of the school didn’t cause the violence there is today.

24. rswd stu says:

gov cb aycock is the reason we have public(free) schools in our county as our state. before his time in office there were many schools but students were charged too attend. gov aycock was a outstanding lawyer as a gov. of our state. times were different then as it was 100 years before his time as 100 years too our time. the re-write of our us history by the radical communist is sad and disgusting and do understand, willie barber and his goons are radical marxist. i urge all too reject this pathetic race baiter as the goons who are bused in from out of state.

25. Ellen says:

Seen him in action in Bible snd Book Store. He would come in store to prepare his sermons years ago would not buy reference books bit pen and paper in hand. He copied what he wanted and leave. I can remember him looking to see if any of us employees were looking. Change the name of our school is not the answer. What next have the state do away with Charles B Aycock Birthplace!

• Jack Hooks says:

The Aycock Family has a long and noble history in Wayne County. You cannot please everybody. If you do not like something that happened in the nineteenth century you should forget about it. That is history and history will not be changed. I know that any knowledge of history that I have will not change even if you and others get hair lipped. Just accept this and forget about it. Charles B Aycock was an honorable man and a capable Governor. He was known for his work and improving education in North Carolina and no one will besmirch his name.

• Tammy says:

Yes and I’ve waited on him with many others and he drank water made a complete mess and never tipped anyone and was the rules man I ever met. Smh he is a big joke.

• Tammy says:

He came into a restaurant I worked at and everytime he came in nobody wanted to wait on him because he was very very very rude and made a mess and never tipped any waitresses. I guess we were the wrong color for him and he’s the biggest loser and racist I’ve ever wished I didn’t meet. I will chain myself to that sign before he gets his way.

26. Kim says:

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES…

27. Aycock Era is over. Blacks have their own rights. Get a grip we are in the year 2015. Who are the racists here? This Centrry folk had nothing to do with the KKK or evil treatment that went on in the eighteen hundreds. It cost money to do these name changes and I have a right to be heard on this. What justifies these racial slurs to the whites?

28. Madison says:

Why are people putting up with this continued harassment by NAACP and Barbour? Who is Barbour? Why does anyone care what Barbour has to say? The people of today had nothing to do with what Aycock did or had 200 years ago and changing a name of a school, street, statue will not change that history. The NAACP does not want to change their name to reflect African Americans rather than Color People so why change the Charles B. Aycock High School name? The NAACP and Barbour just want to keep everything stirred up cause it gives them a job.

29. Lynne Barfield says:

I just do not understand this. Today in the paper a 21 year old African American man was arrested for sexually assaulting a 5 year old little girl who was African American also” WHERE IS THE NAACP AND REV BARBER? Oh that’s right they are doing something much more important. Worrying about the name of a school.

30. Carl says:

there def needs to be a march against Barber…… he should be in the streets talking to young men who are selling drugs and not being daddy’s. he has a sick brain……. lets march….. he does…..

31. Wheezer says:

All in favor of renaming it “Robert E. Lee High School”, raise your hand.

32. Michelle says:

The good William Barber needs to teach his people to luv one another and find some peace in his life which he should have if he is the man of God like he says he is!!!!!!! Instead of causing all the trouble he can!

33. Kimberly says:

Seriously? The NAACP and William Barbour should concentrate on more important things in life. Just because you are mad about things that happened 209 years ago doesn’t mean you can rewrite history. Get a life oeople! These people just want attention !

34. Jo Ann Hartley says:

Rev.Barber loves to cause trouble,he is as much a man of God as Al Sharpton.Ok,turn about is fair play Barber,we will start a petition to rename all streets and roads bearing the name of Martin L King,one stupid move deserves a countermove

35. PSarr says:

Apparently its the opinion of the NAACP, that even they can’t grow beyond their past. The ignorance and stupidity is simply amazing.

36. Todd says:

Once people let others bully them and at times blackmail them into changing our history into what they want it will always continue. If the head of the naacp doesn’t like the name of our high school, the solution is simple, leave the county. Our county leaders should and better not be bullied by ignorant race baiters. Once they let it start, it will continue.

37. Tammy says:

I would love to attend and ask the good reverend about his racist ways will I waited on him in a local restaurant. Everybody hated waiting on him because he was rude .

38. sickofcrap says:

The NAACP should be more concerned about teaching these kids nowadays that violence is not the answer to issues. People are killing each other every day, but why put any effort into bettering this world, oh, that’s right, too concerned about things that went on when none of us living now were even here, let’s live in the past, not the present, makes perfect sense! Idiots!

39. Russell says:

At first all that comes to mind is wow… Of all the things to fight over you choose the name of a school. Why stop at Aycock? Maybe we need to remove Washington from the Washington monument because he was a slave owner. Like most people have said the past is the past. Nobody’s perfect and you always have to take the good with the bad.

40. Ben Gibson says:

Bullying…… pure and simple. Let’s see which of our local leaders has the stones to tell the good Reverend to pound sand. Let’s see who will ask our home grown agitator if he’ll petition every living person who graduated from or still attends that school if they are offended by the school’s nomenclature and want it changed. Let’s see if that extortionist group known as the NAACP will actually DO SOMETHING that benefits the black community INSTEAD of creating division and trying to turn “everything south” into the new N-word. If you are reading this Mr. Barber, please answer the following questions………… What will changing the name of CBA do to help black unemployment which is 15% among adults and 50% among black youth? What will changing the name of CBA do to stop the violence in your town? Have you given up on YOUR “stop the violence initiative” and feel a name change at CBA is more important than dead or incarcerated kids? What will changing the name of CBA do to help student scores ? What will changing the name of CBA do to help reduce the number of people on food stamps and welfare? How will changing the name at CBA fix our broken families? How will changing the name at CBA teach our kids to respect one another and our authority figures? What will changing the name of CBA do to improve ANY condition in the black community? The answer to all prior questions is NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. So if one is to assume that “black lives” DO matter to the NAACP, they sure have a funny way of showing it.

41. Will Grimes says:

I went to high school there. And the principal,Dr Moore, never thought it was a racist school. It’s all about stirring up the race pot. That school has been there 50 years not once has anyone mentioned this until recent.

42. Taz says:

It’s way out of control .. time to play another card,and get off the racist bull!!!! The racist card need to be put away.. I worry about paying utility bills and medical bills,not changing the name of a school…

43. tom5364 says:

This is ridiculous!! The NAACP should be more concerned with the countless murders and shooting here in Goldsboro instead of a name.

44. Danny Wells says:

This is the most absurd thing I’ve ever heard. I’m a 1978 grad and my sister and most of my relatives and friends have graduated from there…..

45. Rena says:

I am in awe! Folks really think they can rewrite history to their liking! Come on ppl, get a life. Leave the school alone! So sick of this one sided witch hunt! I have 3 Grandsons that graduated from there, this is absolutely asinine! And you can tell who needs to go back to school to learn about his man. Oh I guess we are changing all the presidents too cause ppl don’t like what they did! Get your facts straight, get your head straight and spend your energies in something POSITIVE, like feeding our children, taking care of our VETS and taking care of OUR homeless. What a waste of time and resources. If yu really done like it, go help the Native American……oh yeah they have casinos. Oh how little you know! Only a select few have gaming. Go look at a reservation out west!! Oh, I know, lets get ppl off welfare, and help get them jobs! I understand needing help! A HELP UP, not a hand out! So let’s get things together and go after WHAT REALLY MATTERS TO AMERICANS!!!! Red, white, brown, black, green or orange, geez! WE ARE ALL AMERICANS!!!!

• Steven says:

Probably the most absurd comment I’ve seen on here.

• Trying to change and re write history…. terrorist organizations are doing it in the middle east, the nazi’s did the same.

What about the part of history where African warlords sold their own people into slavery?

What about the Norths insatiable appetite for southern goods such as cotton, tobacco, etc etc, that made and created the need for more and more slaves?

And once again, how were slaves purchased and who were they purchased from in africa?

46. BP says:

The NAACP folk must be pretty bored. “Hey, what else can we stir up now…ohhh, the schrewel!”

47. Resident says:

Do we not have better things to worry about in this county than a name? What about gangs, murders, violence……It is part of history no matter what the issue.

48. Kim Smith says:

This is stupid, No I didn’t go to this school, But my sister, daughter did & my grandkids r going to. If ppl would put this much energy & time in to feeding the hungry & housing the homeless as they do on unimportant issues, the world would be in better shape. Leave the name alone. And pray about something more important you can do. SMH

49. History Man says:

I do wish The NACCP would get their fact right. Gov.Aycock built white schools and black schools. The leaders of that time wanted to take all the taxes paid to NC and build only white schools. Gov Aycock fought against it and would no go along with it. This man fought for education for all the childern of NC. I wish they would remember this and stop the hate. They have become a hate group.

50. Jim says:

This is complete nonsense just another way for William Barber to get press and if all the NAACP supporters would get jobs and get off welfare and public assistance they would be working instead of protesting idiotic mess like this

51. mark says:

This is such nonsense if all the NAACP supporters would get off there butts gets jobs and get off welfare and food stamps they would be working to feed there filies instead of protesting idiotic things like this. Just another way for buffet king William barber to get press.

52. Mike Best says:

Because there is nothing more important that should have our focus currently I guess?

53. Factual says:

About time someone suggested doing this, we should follow suit with all the UNC system and remove the name the same way it has been removed by ECU and others from the UNC campus. Time to update. We are not following in the footsteps of the old south but the new inclusive south. Very proud of Wayne County if they follow through with this.

• Will says:

Your part of the problem we have today with race baiting!!!

• Steven says:

Race baiting? No.

The school is named after a guy that literally believed blacks were completely subordinate to whites and helped instigate a race riot. It’s nothing to do with changing the past. It’s accepting that it happened and acknowledging how wrong it was.

• RESIDENT says:

My dad graduated from CBA. He was there when Aycock became a part of desegregation. It has continued to thrive as a school of equality. I graduated from there in 1989. I am a white female and my best friend was a black male. Both of us have children that attend CBA now. I have never heard the name associated with racism. A name doesn’t make people racist… people do. If you want to move forward then get your feet out of the past and MOVE!

• Ok, it was wrong. Happy?

• NoName says:

Are you kidding me right now?

54. Dianna says:

I think a lot of people in our area knew this was coming. Come on people, really!! To try and change the name of a well reputable high school because people make everything into a race issue. Know your history before wasting your time and energy and find something that will actually benefit our society. I am offended by a lot of things, but that’s life. Sad, sad story!

55. Frances says:

This is is sickening to read. Everyone knew this was coming, but really!! People are reading too much into things. I have a problem with a lot of beliefs of actions of people, but changing history and the name of a High School was a wonderful reputation is ridiculous. They are so many other things bad in the world that time is taken and focused on something like this. Some people just love to stir the racist pot.

56. Jessica says:

For heaven sakes!!!!! We have a past for a reason people! The history of something or someone is to teach us how far we’ve come. Now they want to change ANOTHER school name due to “they think it’s wrong”. I think it’s a waste of time and money.

57. opinion says:

Seriously?!??!? This is ridiculous, its not like the man is running the school!! It’s in the past.

58. Debbie Smith says:

I personally don’t care how hard you try, you will never be able to erase the past, the injustices that were done not only to the black but to the indians. Everyone wants reparations paid to them for things that the past generations have done. Don’t get me wrong, I believe in equality for all but I am not offended if the children want to pray by the flag pole prior to school starting. I don’t find the confederate flag any more offensive as a malcom x tee shirt. Stop beating your drum over things that do not matter Rev. Barbour. How about speaking up for a higher living wage. You work so hard to stir up trouble. I guess that is your job now but if you take a good look around you there are so many more important things that need fixing rather than re-naming a building. I guess Aycock’s birthplace will be next on your list of important things to stir people up about. No matter what color your skin is when it gets down to it, we all bleed red.

• Tammy says:

He is a racist himself I can’t wait to confront him. Everybody that I know that was white he waited on NO TIP and rude as heck.

59. Beckie says:

Why don’t you talk to the people that went to school there, graduated from there, there children that graduated from there and there grand kids that go there. I’m proud of the school I graduated from. The NAACP HAS NO RIGHT TO WANT TO CHANG THE NAME OF OUR SCHOOL.

Trackbacks for this post