Friday 16 Nov 2018

jacksonsbannerdft2sept15png

Operation Firecracker Underway In N.C.

Last week, Governor Roy Cooper marked the beginning of the N.C. Governor’s Highway Safety Program “Booze It & Lose It” campaign at a kick-off event for Operation Firecracker at the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park.

Operation Firecracker aims to prevent alcohol-related crashes by targeting impaired drivers during the July 4 holiday season. In 2018 so far, 135 people have lost their lives as a result of alcohol-related crashes in North Carolina.

“We want people to enjoy their Fourth of July holiday with family and friends, and we want them to return home safely when the celebrations end,” Gov. Cooper said. “Law enforcement agencies will step up efforts to keep our roads safe during Operation Firecracker, and with their help we can prevent crashes and save lives.”

Law enforcement agencies across the state will participate in Operation Firecracker by running sobriety checkpoints in all 100 counties during the July 4 holiday week to help catch drunk drivers and reduce fatalities.

“Impaired drivers are jailed, charged and sentenced in our courtrooms every day due to this dangerous behavior, and it’s high time North Carolinians take a look at their habits behind the wheel and see the consequences they have on our great state,” said Guilford County District Court Judge Tom Jarrell, the Mothers Against Drunk Driving judicial official of the year.

Law enforcement and the judicial system play a role in this campaign, but Shane Ramos says people are at the center of the culture change needed to deaths due to impaired driving. Ramos is a tow truck driver and was struck by an impaired driver last month while working on a roadway in Nash County.

“If people would just practice safe drinking — call a friend, use ride-share services, take a cab, I would not be standing here before you and my partner, who was also hit, would not be without the use of his legs,” Ramos pleaded. “It’s simple — if you’ve been drinking and you choose to get behind the wheel, you are toying with lives, including your own.”

Operation Firecracker is underway now through July 8 across North Carolina.

 

5 Comments

  1. hamburgers4life says:

    Will this news site info. Wayne County and others about any and/or if Fourth of July events?
    See a lot of family fun things after the fact..
    If we had a way to know before then more families would attend..
    EX…. We hate we did not know about the sunflower event till we saw pic. on website.
    My family hasn’t lived in Wayne County that long and never know local events.
    Is there a website I could look at & may family plans???
    Thanks 4 any and all help!?!?

    Reply
    • mama bear says:

      there is a little magazine that the city releases every month (cant remember what its called at the moment). you can pick it up for free in different places around the county and it usually covers most of the planned events. I know they have them at the water dept in Goldsboro and mount olive, and both libraries. hope you are able to find something fun!

      Reply
  2. Adamrothman says:

    Always so clever when it comes to naming these operations

    Reply
  3. Jesus says:

    How about not turning your back on local farmers.

    Reply
    • sock monkey says:

      Please tell me what this has to do with this new?
      Or did you maybe comment on the wrong story?
      I’m lost..

      Reply

Leave a Comment

GoldsboroDailyNews.com welcomes and encourages all our users to contribute and voice their opinions. We do not discriminate against any political or ideological views. In order to maintain a civil discussion, the following guidelines will be adhered to:

1.Profanity is not allowed. Comments containing anything that is deemed profane may be deleted entirely.
2.Hate speech will not be tolerated. Comments against a person based on their race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, etc. may be deleted entirely.
3.Threats will not be tolerated. Comments threatening harm or violence to a person or persons may be deleted entirely.

Goldsboro Daily News staff reserves the right to approve, edit, or delete any comments as they see fit based upon these guidelines. User-submit views and comments do not necessary reflect the views and opinions of staff and management of GoldsboroDailyNews.com.