Saturday 19 Oct 2019

Breweries Granted Permits For Downtown Locations

Two microbreweries will be allowed to open in Downtown Goldsboro.

Goldsboro Planning Director Jennifer Collins told the city council Monday Anderson Brewing was looking to open its facility on the northeast corner of W. Pine Street and S. George Street.

Elsewhere, Goldsboro Brew Works plans to open its brewery at the intersection of W. Chestnut Street and S. James Street.

The Goldsboro City Council granted the conditional use permits for the two microbreweries as part of the consent agenda on a 4-2 vote Monday.

Under the city’s recently modified ordinance, a total of five microbreweries would be allowed in the downtown area.

The location for Goldsboro Brew Works brewery at the corner of W. Chestnut Street and S. James Street.

The location for Anderson Brewing at the corner of W. Pine Street and S. George Street.

1. pyrate says:

I see that the permits were approved by the city council 4 to 2. I wonder who were the two council members who voted against … Bevans and Foster? I’m tired of people like them in Goldsboro who do nothing but complain about how the town in so run-down but don’t do anything constructive to attract new people and businesses in the community.

2. Olivia Masterson says:

Why on earth do we need more “breweries” downtown or anywhere else in Goldsboro for that matter?

• pyrate says:

I don’t drink beer and I think the typical customer at any of these micro-breweries is kind of annoying. That being said, I’m completely for any business that wants to come in and reuse an old abandoned building to try to make a go for it. I’m all for the free market, and if this is one of the things that attracts business in town, then so be it! Any dollar spent for legal and legitimate products and services can eventually be a winner for the area’s economy. I can choose not to go to any of these types of businesses, but we can all enjoy the benefits of the new money being spent in Goldsboro.

• Adamrothman says:

If you don’t drink beer how do you know what the patrons of breweries are like?

• pyrate says:

Because I have been a patron at a few businesses that market themselves as breweries (not in the Goldsboro area). These breweries also offer other items than just beer on their menus. Things like food and other beverages. I observe other people’s behavior around me, and that’s just the general impression I got about the other patrons. I enjoyed myself without drinking the beer. Any more questions?

• Adamrothman says:

Ok, so you don’t drink beer and you find the patrons of micro breweries annoying. Even with those two strikes you enjoyed yourself, makes perfect sense.

• Adamrothman says:

Because there is a market for it. If you don’t like it just stay at home with your cats.

• Waynecountynative says:

Yes! I have never understood why people want to live in a place just to watch it dry up and die. With all of the problems facing the city, businesses wanting to expand downtown are a positive thing!